Europe’s premier cultural spectacle, the Eurovision Song Contest, takes place next week. Our annual guide will be with you in time for semi-final one on Tuesday, but if you want a quick preview:
ONES TIPPED TO DO WELL
* Malta – This Lizzo-esque electoswinger is the obvious choice on paper, and the bookies’ favourite for months, but others have been gaining on it in recent days
* Iceland – Last year’s hot ticket, 8-bit bedroom-disco hero Daði is back with more of the same and has tons of goodwill in the bank
* France – About as French as it can be. Melancholic cigarettes-for-dinner tier.
* Italy – Aiming for Arctic Monkeys, landing a little closer to Terrorvision, it’s a juicy bit of red meat for the ‘real music’ crowd
ONES YOU’LL WANT TO CATCH
* Ukraine – A bonkers wailing folk-rave mash-up that might induce a passive acid trip
* Finland – An early 00s nu-metal call to take shots, throw up, and stick your middle fingers in the air
* Denmark – A proper time-warp, like something from Eurovision ’87. Not in a kitsch ironic way; a genuine bug-in-amber relic.
* San Marino – They got Flo Rida to do a verse on the record, can they convince him to come to Rotterdam?